Distracted!

No post for AGES, I know but I have been otherwise distracted and reading (along with about 90% of the female population...anything to do with the Euro 2012?), the Fifty Shades trilogy. I know it's not particularly high brow but who cares, I enjoyed reading them very much, it's true, the books just suck you in.


I read a few reviews in the press and thought how terrible it sounded but succumbed to peer pressure at work to read it (including an equally distracted lesbian colleague) and am glad I did. Yes, there are huge parts that are a little Mills & Boon and there are plenty of things that make you cringe (his trousers hung from his hips in that way....) but it is pure escapism from the stress and strains of daily life in this economic gloom. Those that criticise the themes of control in the book have not read it, Anastasia is so in control and her kinky lover reigns in all of his more exotic sexual tendencies for her (much to my disappointment). It's written by a woman for women and men don't get it. If anything I would say it's a little like Beauty and the Beast with a more adult theme. Go, read and enjoy, life's too short! I actually feel a little bereft now I've finished.

When not tucked up within the pages of the above I have been doing a little cooking from the three cook books I bought with a birthday voucher (Alice Hart's Vegetarian, Scandilicious - Signe Johansen and Kerstin Rodgers' Supper Club). I really recommend Alice Hart's book, it's great and the recipes really work. I'll upload photos of things made soon. Firstly though, here is a Bakewell Tart tray bake from Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's column in the Guardian on Saturday.....delicious and very easy.

Bakewell Tart with fresh raspberries

Comments

Popular Posts