Carrots & Marjoram

The weather has been unbearably hot these past few days, far too hot to be in the kitchen and definitely too hot to consider using the oven but I was determined to cook a tart using the first crop of carrots from the garden. The carrots were grown in a bag by the back door which has proved very successful. I can't remember the variety but know that it was one of the shorter stubby types (in case the depth of the bag caused problems). They have also been a very attractive display of feathery green fronds and were untroubled by pests (although were a good hiding place for the snails decimating my bean and courgette plant!).

First crop
The tart was inspired by a photo from one of my friends on Instagram (very addictive) and was simply puff pastry layered with goats cheese, the carrots (roasted for about 10 minutes) and fresh marjoram. It was delicious and I will definitely try this again, maybe with some cumin or harissa as a variation.

Roast carrot and goats cheese tart
Earlier in the week, I bought a couple more cookery books from the local discount bookstore. One 'Kitchen & Co' had a lovely recipe for beef carpaccio and lentil salad. Rather than serving the beef completely raw, I seared the fillet first after rubbing it in a herb and coriander mix and then slicing it very thinly. The salad was simply green lentils, thyme, raw beetroot, walnut oil and feta. As well as the mustard and dill pesto suggested by the recipe I also served a simple mix of creme fraiche and horseradish.

Beef carpaccio

Comments

Popular Posts