Swede and Potato

The weather has been atrocious this weekend, literally non-stop rain all day and all night and cold too. Yesterday was spent out and about, a lot of driving in the rain and today it feels like a day to take it easy and potter about. I've been meaning to make some vegetarian pasties inspired by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's vegetarian cookbook and I think that today was cold enough to make some good pastry.

The recipe for the rough puff pastry in Hugh's book used plain flour but I substituted this for 300g of stoneground wholemeal spelt flour. I had to use a little more water but it worked well and was easy to make. I seasoned the filling of potato, swede, carrot, onion and cheese with parsley, thyme and some sesame seeds and sumac.

The filling, seasoned and ready.


 The recipe says it makes four but I managed to squeeze another two from the pastry and filling and they are still quite big.

Ready for the oven
 As with all home cooking, there has to be a taste test and it was rather good! Now all I have to do is stop them being eaten in one go.








Comments

Popular Posts