Foodie Penpals – March


For my second Foodie Penpals parcel I was matched with the organiser This is Rock Salt and although I was initially in a flap, wondering how I could come up with an inspired selection, she kindly put my mind to rest with a sweet email detailing her love for chocolates, crisps and food experimentation (what's not to love!). It’s also infinitely easier to do some background work when your parcel recipient has a blog too. This is what I sent –




Bacon Jam, a sweet and savoury bacon relish for spreading on bread or stirring into soups and stews. I first saw this mentioned on a fellow bloggers Instagram feed and rather intrigued noticed a pot in Greensmiths, a really lovely independent food shop, in Lower Marsh Street, behind Waterloo station.

Bissli Kosher Snacks (‘Onion’ and ‘Smokey’ flavours), something a little different for a dedicated crisp lover.

Lindt Blueberry Intense Chocolate, dark chocolate with blueberries, this must surely qualify as a health food.

Joe & Seph’s Caramel and Sea Salt Popcorn, this, and I can personally testify, is insanely more-ish.

Bunny Biscuit, I saw this and it made me laugh, one of the more imaginative Easter treats currently on sale.

I received a parcel from April, who doesn't have a blog but is definitely a dedicated foodie. She sent me the most lovely parcel, full of things I would have chosen for myself and with a whole pack of recipes too.



Included in April's parcel were the following -

Spanish Seville Orange Tortas, handmade and traditional flat breads from Spain. I've had versions of these before but not orange ones. They are delicious and will be scoffed greedily this weekend!

Yorkshire Parkin,traditional ginger cake from Yorkshire. April's grandmother was from Leeds so this was a childhood favourite.

Tracklements Sweet Mustard Ketchup, April's favourite Tracklements product. Looking forward to trying this as part of a potato salad as suggested, it looks like liquid piccalilli which I love.

Fentimans Rose Lemonade, traditionally made lemonade with rose oil. This is in such a pretty bottle and aches for some summery weather to go with it.

'Want, Want' Japanese Seaweed Rice Crackers, exactly the sort of thing I love, a little different and great packaging too. April included these as she loved them and having broken into them already I can happily confirm they are very delicious.

Madeleine, a single treat to have with a cup of tea.

Joe & Sephs Caramel and Sea Salt Popcorn, funnily I also included this in the parcel I sent. I'm very glad it's in the one I received too as it is yum (and I so nearly ate the pack I sent to This is Rock Salt!).


April also included a really lovely long and thoughtful letter, explaining the story behind all of the products, acknowledging my love of smaller companies and non-mass produced food. Best of all though, she  attached four handwritten recipes that she had inherited from her grandmother and great grandmother, Eggless, Fat Free Walnut Cake (written in 1941), Rice or Potato Bread (written in 1942), Honey Cake (written in 1943) and April's Nana's Banana Bread (something she makes regularly in the deli where she works and is always a sell out). All have the thriftiness of times past, from women who lived through rationing and the war. These are very special and I'm very honoured to share these, April, I cannot thank you enough.

Comments

  1. I saw Carol Anne's post and totally did not associate that with you for some reason. Great parcel! I was so excited to see the bacon jam, because it originates from my corner of London. It also comes in bacon & chilli and chorizo. It's delicious on burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the sound of the other varieties, especially the chorizo version. There's a really lovely deli behind Waterloo station that sells them. In fact Lower Marsh Street has so many lovely independent shops it's a hidden gem, very worth a visit if you are ever nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be good combined with a day out on the Southbank. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. Ahhhhhhh!!! Bacon Jam! I saw a recipe for this a few years back and it seemed like the craziest thing. Now I must try it.

    The FPP program is always inspiring me in the kitchen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be trying it too, it's stirred up a lot of interest. I'm particularly into sampling the Chorizo version, that sounds like a great way to add a little Spanish flavour into soups and stews.

      Delete
  4. I've only just started doing these foodie parcels and I love them! Bacon jam sounds amazing, must try some! Anyone know where I can get some from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the web site, hopefully someone will sell it near you - http://www.bacon-jam.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts