Taking stock

A rainy summer bank holiday is the perfect excuse to do some domestic tasks that you've been putting off for a while and especially so after lots of eating out whilst in London for the last two weeks. 'Summer' bank holiday is a bit of a misnomer as it's been raining so much lately it's hard to remember what a sunny day day actually feels like. I think I may have mentioned my larder in a previous post somewhere. We are lucky to have the original Victorian larder, still with it's original 'meat safe' for perishable goods (and now used to store my fragile vintage crockery), slightly wonky shelves, useful hooks and plenty of dark corners for me to lose things in. Being a very keen cook, always trying new things, cooking daily and searching for new ingredients on trips away from home things can get slightly out of hand. So it was time for a good clear out and a little organisation.

Inside the larder ©bighomebird

Serenaded by Radio 2 and a gentling snoring cat it took a couple of hours to empty, clean and return the items in some semblance of order. It was quite therapeutic in a way, I've always loved a good store cupboard. There is something sort of survivalist about being well stocked up (I think we'd have enough for at least the first year of a zombie apocalypse) and you can tell a lot about a person by a quick sneaky peak in the fridge or larder. What mine says about me could be a bit embarrassing, my list of items grew to ten pages. Who knew that you could have six different blends of garam masala, ten types of rice and the full A-Z of pretty much every spice known to man? As someone who tries to eat healthily I have to admit to owning nineteen different sugars, a full spectrum of sweetness from Demerara to exotics like jaggery and the more 'scientific' liquid glucose. September will be a month of finding recipes for this treasure trove and a strict word with myself before being drawn into another interesting looking store.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts