More competitive cake baking...

Following on from my last post, I just have a few quick minutes to update you on the latest bakes. Sadly, my last two creations have not made it to the competition but they have been scoffed and voted excellent by the resident cake eater and that's good enough for me.

Week 6 - Chocolate Eclairs

'Intolerant' Eclairs ©bighomebird

Choux pastry is surprisingly easy to make, so don't think these are in anyway hard. I decided to try to add a little dietary twist to a basic recipe and made these 'intolerant' eclairs, using wheat free spelt flour and goats milk cream so they were also cows milk free. Whipped up in 30 minutes, they were devoured in 5 (yes, all six).

Week 5 - Victoria Sponge

Plum and star anise Victoria Sponge with vanilla  honeyed creme fraiche ©bighomebird

Victoria Sponge is not my most favourite of cakes, far too simple and not enough interest for an adventurous baker, so I thought long and hard about this challenge. I decided on a wheat free spelt flour and fat free sponge mix, using grated potato as the binding agent. This produced a really lovely light and airy sponge, totally unexpected and definitely to be repeated. Using the seasonal glut of plums I had in the house, I simmered a good handful with some star anise and honey to make a simple jam for the centre, straining off some of the excess liquid to boil down to a sticky 'coulis' to use for the heart on top. To match the lightness of the sponge I whisked creme fraiche with a spoonful or two of reduced fat cream cheese and a teaspoon of vanilla extract and honey to complement the jam. This was seriously good and I will write up the recipe for a proper post, as despite my initial misgivings, it might just prove to be a future favourite.


The same cake a mere two hours later....oops!

Comments

Popular Posts