Christmas on a budget

Christmas can always seem a little stressful on those with limited funds but with a little thought and creativity it is possible to trim back the extra costs so that January is only bleak because of the weather. I've always made my Christmas cards and this year tried to include an 'eco' theme as well as keeping a strict eye on costs. In addition, cards need to be fairly easy to produce (making over 40 cards by hand can quickly become a chore if too complicated), relatively light to post (having so many friends and family abroad) and of course attractive and stylish!


So with a pile of waste white card, a yard or two of recycled paper ribbon, some old business envelopes and a cork, I set about making a herd of white reindeer with cheerful red winter scarves to be sent in a flurry of snowy envelopes inspired by a Christmas decoration. The cards stand alone but are sent 'flat pack' with a little diagram on how to insert the legs.


In all, these cards cost pence to make but quite a bit in actual time (although cutting a pile of card in front of the telly is quite therapeutic!). I hope they raise a smile wherever they go.


The Christmas tree this year is a literary one, a slight re-arrangement of books on a small side table. I rather like it to be honest and it saves on sweeping up needles for the rest of the year! I have also been working hard making a knitted advent calendar although this is still not finished. I may get it done for Christmas day itself but never mind, the fun is in the making and there is always next year. Just some Christmas baking to do next.......!
The blackberry gin I made earlier has been bottled (and of course, sampled!) and is rather nice so will definitely make this again in 2013. A small glass of this dark and perfumed spirit will be a little reminder of warmer times on cold and dark January evenings.


Comments

  1. I cannot believe you made the reindeer yourself. They look so neat! I usually make my Christmas cards, but what with being away for most of December, M&S had to help me out this year.

    Happy Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost gave myself a blister from scissors! Loved your holiday pics, looks like you had a fab time. Have a very merry Christmas too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Christmas book tree is exceptional! Just found your blog today via your instagram :) I'm Broadbeanz on Instagram. I've added your blog to my bloglovin feed. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Have been looking enviously at your gardening pics on Instagram, love the alpines! Have a great Christmas too x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts