Rhubarb and maybe some custard

I have an extremely large rhubarb plant in the garden, seriously, it's a giant. M hates it, I think it's the rhubarb's uncontrollable growth that gets him. He's always looking out the window grumbling about 'that  b****y rhubarb'. There's a distinct difference in our gardening styles, M's being of the more 'slash and burn' or 'cut it right back' variety (I can't leave him unattended with the secateurs) whilst I'm more 'let nature reign' or 'that might be some creature's house' (so between us, the garden remains in reasonable shape). I have a soft spot for the rhubarb and love the way it bursts forth every spring, the first thing in the garden to show life. It's rumoured to be nearly a hundred years old and whilst I take this myth with a hefty pinch of salt, our lovely neighbour, Eileen (who was born in our house), remembers her father tending to it and she's 88, so you never know. It's not the sort of produce you buy regularly unless you have a specific recipe but if you happen to have one in your garden or allotment you'll be finding plenty of uses for it, as it's so prolific and a rhubarb crumble with some proper custard forms a quick and easy dessert. More often I simply stew a few stalks with some honey and orange juice to have with plain yoghurt for work day breakfasts.

Rhubarb, rhubarb...©bighomebird

Something I've been meaning to try for sometime is a rhubarb gin, another variant of the flavoured spirit I seem to make a lot of (!). I'm hoping this will be tart and fresh and a perfect tipple for early summer, served ice cold straight from the freezer. This will be a real experiment, so no recipe as yet (let's wait and see if this is a success first).

Rhubarb gin ©bighomebird

I half filled a litre Kilner jar with sliced rhubarb, about 5 tbsp caster sugar and topped up with 750ml of gin. I'm considering adding a vanilla pod for a touch of 'custard' but will wait for an early testing first. As my rhubarb is outdoor grown it's much more green than the bright red of forced rhubarb and I think the resulting liqueur will be a pale flamingo pink rather than a more kitsch vibrant hue. I'm aiming to leave it a few weeks before straining and bottling (and of course, sampling).

Rhubarb gin infusing ©bighomebird

I used the leftover rhubarb that couldn't be squashed into the gin experiment for a cake. I've made this cake a number of times, the recipe is from a magazine cutting from long ago (I can no longer remember the name of the original source). It's incredibly simple to make, very pretty and even confirmed rhubarb-sceptics (including M) love it.

Rhubarb and almond cake

175g softened unsalted butter
175g golden caster sugar
3 eggs
125g self-raising flour
50g ground almonds
50g flaked almonds
600g rhubarb (approx 4-5 stalks), sliced into chunks
50g demerara sugar
icing sugar

Heat the oven to 180℃ and butter and line a loose bottomed 20cm diameter cake tin. Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy and then beat in the eggs, one at a time. Sift in the flour, add the ground almonds, half the flaked almonds, mix together well and spoon into the prepared cake tin.

Beating together butter, sugar and eggs ©bighomebird


Mix the rhubarb pieces with the demerara sugar and flaked almonds and pour the mix on top of the cake batter in the tin. It will look a lot but don't worry!

Adding the rhubarb to the cake ©bighomebird

Bake the cake for 45 minutes at 180℃ then turn the temperature down to 150℃ and cook for another 45 minutes. If, like mine your cake tin has a gap or two, put a baking tray under the tin in case there is any excess liquid from the rhubarb.

Rhubarb and almond cake ©bighomebird

Remove the cake from the oven and cool for at least 30 minutes in the tin before removing. When it has completely cooled, dust with a little icing sugar and serve with some crème fraȋche, vanilla ice cream or a little custard!


Comments

  1. Gosh those two recipes look gorgeous. I love love love rhubarb. I never seem to keep the pink look once I've cooked it, it always looks grey by the time I've finished but still tastes fab though. Elinor x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elinor, I'm particularly looking forward to the rhubarb gin. Had an early sample and it tastes fab. Just need a cocktail recipe from you to make with it. x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts