Granny squares, crocheting in the garden

Crocheting a blanket in this heat? Yes, I must be crazy but over these these past hot and humid few weeks I have been practicing some crochet skills and turning a large quantity of stash yarn leftover from my Mum, supplemented with some vintage wool found in a charity shop at a 'couldn't say no' ridiculously cheap price and a 'shouldn't have but couldn't resist' purchase from a yarn shop tour of East London into a granny square blanket for the colder months.

granny squares in blue, orange and cream laid out to plan the final pattern

I've been meaning to make a granny square blanket for a while but despite being an experienced knitter, crochet is something that has passed me by. It's surprisingly hard to get used to the concept of one hook when you're definitely a two sticks kind of girl.


As each square is made separately this proved to be an excellent hot weather project and grew quickly. The long summer evenings in the garden whilst sipping ice cold wine also meant I could use the lawn to lay out the mosaic of squares (in my favourite blue and orange). The final edging on the completed blanket was quite a trial on a particularly hot evening but now I have a useful blanket for later in the year and I've made a small dent in my rather large stash!

the finished granny square blanket

Comments

  1. Love it, want it! How clever are you! Elinor x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I love all the different squares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Now I have a useful blanket instead of a bag of odds and ends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts