A weekend in Holland

We've just returned from a really lovely long weekend in Holland, staying with someone very close to us. Long summer days spent chatting, cycling, cooking and talking of creative projects, my very favourite ways to spend time, it was just a shame it was over so quickly. 

Dutch clogs

I haven't been back for a few years so it was fun to treat ourselves to a cone of 'patat' with mayo and gaze at the mysterious vending machines selling frikandel and other deep fried delights which were so interesting when I was a child (no we didn't sample any of these) after an hour or two browsing the market.

patat with mayo

Although this land is so familiar to me, I know so very little about where my family come from. I suppose that in the mostly once a year visits most time is spent catching up with relatives and not sight seeing. So spending time exploring was extra special, cycling to the Paleis Het Loo and seeing the links to England with William and Mary, discovering parts of the Veluwe I never new existed, crossing the border to visit Germany for the first time.

Paleis Het Loo

As a dedicated knitter, a visit to the local wool shop was, of course, a necessity and despite myself I couldn't resist a ball of something. Knitting this will become a living memory of our trip, although I have yet to decide on a pattern.

Dutch yarn

As usual my suitcase on return was packed with various food products, some familiar, nostalgic remembrances of times past and other new discoveries too. At the security check, my rookworst, hidden amongst my pants caused much hilarity (but no problems!) and I have to admit to a certain obsession with these, chocolate covered dried physalis...yum!

chocolate covered physalis or cape gooseberry

Next time I won't leave it so long before I return. x

Comments

Popular Posts