A Dutch weekend in London

For the last few days I have been viewing London as a tourist which has been a rather lovely change to the routine of rushing in and out of the city for work. I have been staying in a rented flat with my mother and her two youngest sisters, my aunts, over from Holland to celebrate a a 60th birthday. It has been a very special few days, a weekend creating memories, sharing time with my closest female relatives.

 
There was lots of talking, lots of walking (!) and lots of window shopping too. Covent Garden, China Town, Portobello Market, Notting Hill, Liberty, Regent Street and Islington were amongst the many places visited and I even found some new places myself. One of my aunts is a weaver and found the address for the Hand Weavers Gallery in North London from one of her latest books. I would never have known about this place otherwise and what a shop! Shelves upon shelves of yarns in a rainbow of colours, natural dyes and looms and a library of books on anything yarn and textile based. Fantastic...I'm quite tempted by weaving myself, it's just the lack of space that is stopping me!


As a result of the weekend, I am now very well prepared for Sinterklaas on the 5th December, although something tells me that little of these cinnamon scented delights will be left by the end of November....


Comments

Popular Posts