In a pickle - a masterclass with Newton & Pott

What is it about opening the larder to see shelf after shelf of homegrown and homemade preserves that is just so satisfying. Do other people feel this too? I can't be the only one can I? I may not yet have stockpiled hoarding for the windows* in preparation for the zombie apocalypse but I'll certainly be able to fend them off with jars of jam and chutney.

Gin pickled cucamelons ©bighomebird

Coming from a family of keen growers, I am quite familiar with jam and chutney making. My dad actually had to extend his kitchen units to keep his hoard and my English grandmother kept her very large store above the airing cupboard in the spare room (all with perfectly stretched cellophane covers and neat labels). Pickling though, is something I have never really tried, so I signed myself up for a masterclass with Kylee Newton of Newton & Pott one evening after work.

The Newton & Pott kitchen sits just around the corner from Broadway Market and the classes take place surrounded by metal shelves laden with jars in their distinctive labels. Kylee herself is warm and friendly and the group is small with everyone sharing so it felt more like an evening around a friends kitchen than a formal class. Everyone relaxed and got stuck in, chopping and peeling and in just under two hours we all had two jars each of gin pickled cucumbers, whisky pickled carrots and pickled mooli with lemon thyme to take home.

The results of a Newton & Pott pickling masterclass ©bighomebird

The following weekend I used some of the skills learnt to pickle my remaining cucamelons using the gin pickled cucumber recipe with a touch more chilli. They do look pretty cool sitting in the larder and what's not to like about anything that contains gin? I really recommend Kylee's book The Modern Preserver, not only is it very beautiful but the recipes are excellent with great advice for all aspects of preserving. I'm particularly keen to try some of the cordials.

Fiery green tomato chutney ©bighomebird

Using one of the recipes from the book I used up leftover green tomatoes from the garden after an early frost caught us unawares turning them into a fiery green tomato chutney. Making room for these in the larder I found some rhubarb and cardamom jam I made earlier in the year...............I told you I had a problem.

*there might be a pile of wood that I've set aside in the shed.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts