Getting in a pickle...

I think I may have mentioned in a previous post about possibly the best Indian pickle you will ever have tasted and my urge to stock pile the stuff. This is no exaggeration. St John & Dolly Smith's Brinjal Pickle has it's own protected space in the larder and a sense of paranoia creeps into the household when the level drops suspiciously low (has M secretly had his spoon in there whilst I was at work?). I introduced my family to it's spicy delights and I know they now feel the same way (my dad refuses to acknowledge he has any in the house but I know he has a hidden stash). There is something so good, so seriously addictive about the large soft chunks of aubergine (brinjal), the depth of spice and the sweet garlicky spoonable deliciousness of it that it is difficult to put into words. There is only one way you will understand what I'm trying to say and that is to taste it. This, however, is more difficult than you think. I first read about it in a Sunday paper some years ago and tracked down a jar in a small independent food shop near my work in London (Coopers, Lower Marsh). Sadly this shop has now closed (a real loss to the locality too) and I have been going out of my way to buy the pickle from Broadway Market in East London (directly from the maker, Chris Smith). On a trip there last weekend I stopped to chat to him about getting his brinjal pickle (and some of his other nine products) stocked in Greensmiths, another fab independent food store that has opened behind Waterloo station (also on Lower Marsh). So far, his attempts to get Greensmiths to stock his products (after Coopers had closed) had drawn a blank so I have made it my personal mission to ensure they do (then I will have an easily accessible route to brinjal heaven). I have spoken to a somewhat bemused manager to date and will be reporting on my progress when I have news. Wish me luck!

St John & Dolly Smith's Brinjal Pickle ©bighomebird

Whilst perusing (or if honest, eating) my way around the other stalls on Broadway Market I came across Newton & Pott, a selection of unusually flavoured preserves, jams and pickles with a slight Antipodean twist (their maker is from New Zealand). Tempted as I am by anything containing 'gin', I bought a jar of Gin Pickled Cucumber and was not disappointed. Surprisingly spicy, tangy and fresh this was perfect on top of a burger. I may have to find some room in the larder...

Newton & Pott's Gin pickled cucumber ©bighomebird

Comments

Popular Posts