A reflection on January

So the first month of 2015 has whizzed past, I just can't believe how quickly it's gone. It's been a fairly quiet month partly because M has not been well for most of it and also because the days are short and cold. Perfect days for pottering around in the kitchen, curling up on the sofa with a ball of wool and a project whilst watching a new drama or old film and getting lost in a good book. In the style of one of my favourite bloggers,  Pip Lincolne, this has been my January....

Sid ©bighomebird

Making : Catnip mice, I'm looking after my neighbour's little cat and am making her a little gift, she's gorgeous. Sid has been very interested so before he feels left out I have started on one for him too.
Cooking : Lots of thrifty meals containing lentils and kale (and mostly vegetarian). This site has provided lots of inspiration.
Drinking : Pukka herbal teas, especially this Night Time tea, perfect for helping me sleep.
Reading: The Book Thief, I can't put it down.
Wanting: More time, there is never enough.
Looking: At the white winter landscape as my train hurries through the first snow of the year.
Playing: With next door's cat, sorry Sid!
Deciding: On the location of an early week off in England, somewhere to relax and explore (and by the sea).
Wishing: That I could have a little more free time to spend with those I love the most.
Enjoying: Wolf Hall, I loved the book and the new drama is fantastically good. A definite must see (although I accept that not everyone is quite as obsessed with this period of history as I am). Mark Rylance is superb (but wait until I finish my knitted King Henry).
Waiting: For some early flowers from the bulbs coming up in the garden.
Liking: The ever so slightly longer days.
Wondering: If my fig trees will have a good crop this year.
Loving: The olive tree my Mum gave me for Christmas.
Pondering: On what vegetables to grow in my tubs, seeds will have to be sown very soon.
Considering: A day out at London Zoo (a little secret, its quieter at this time of year).
Watching: Broadchurch, how come I never watched the first series?
Hoping: For beautiful sunny weather when we have our first break of the year.
Needing: A holiday, the Christmas break seems ages ago.
Smelling: The bowls of beautiful oranges on the table, Navelinas from Spain, blood oranges from Italy, they are one of my favourite fruits.

Kadri's foodie penpal parcel ©bighomebird

Snacking: On some wonderful Swiss chocolate and fasnachtschuechli (lent cakes) sent to me by Kadri, my foodie penpal this month. There was also another type of chocolate in her lovely parcel but I'm afraid it got eaten before the photo. She also sent me the tea below, Swiss Alpine herb tea, a really calming and fragrant blend.

Swiss Alpine Herb Tea ©bighomebird

Wearing: Hand knitted jumpers and comfy trousers (and pyjamas and hand made slippers).
Noticing: The days getting ever so slightly longer, it's now still light (just) when I leave work.
Knowing: That February will probably disappear faster than January.
Learning: About moons with the Open University.
Thinking: That I must get my (planned) Etsy shop up and running this year.
Admiring: Bunches of multicoloured tulips in the local shop. I'd love some but Sid tends to eat cut flowers.
Sorting: The endless piles of 'things I must read at some point'.
Buying: Resisting, so far......oops, bought a dress (but 70% off and it is Fair Trade). Get tempted by Peopletree too, they have beautiful clothes.
Getting: Organised! Trying to work through my stash and finish a number of languishing projects.
Bookmarking: Far too many blogs and web sites with inspiring recipe ideas.
Opening: Bills, it's January.
Coveting: An Ercol love seat, even though I have no room for one.
Wishing: I had a housework fairy that cleaned up after me...
Giggling: At Sid's first sight of snow.

Comments

Popular Posts