Kerb, a feast of street food

You will now by now that I am quite hopelessly obsessed by food. I spend most waking hours thinking about it, plan trips around it and have a never ending list of recipes waiting to tried. I also have a huge list (yes, I also like lists too) of places I am keen to try but hey, this is not a bad way to spend a life, a constant quest for culinary adventure accompanied by a rumbling stomach. Having the (sometimes questioned) advantage of spending my working week in the metropolis of London, I am surrounded by a multitude of places to eat. London has a fantastic food scene at the moment and it is possible to eat very well whilst spending very little. On my 'hit list' of places to sample for a while has been Kerb, a collective of street food traders, usually located at Kings Cross. Luckily for me they're making some brief excursions south of the river over the summer months.

Kerb, the street food collective

With the dates of their new location firmly in my diary, I spent a happy few hours 'researching' the traders in an effort to make a decision on what to eat. That's dedication for you. It was a hard choice and despite the temptations of the paella below I opted for Spit & Roast's fried chicken, purely because I heard some very good things about them and also because, maybe surprisingly, fried chicken has never been one of my 'things'. Well, the fact that there is no photo of the item I inhaled should say more than any words can. Juicy free range chicken marinated in buttermilk and fried until the southern style coating is crisp, crunchy fresh slaw and hot Korean style chilli sauce in a soft bap, it was....well, I sat on a step and scoffed it like an alley cat, wiping the juice of my face with real pleasure. Addictive, glorious, messy, perfect for a hot sultry afternoon, what a shame I had to go back to work.

Paella at Kerb

The only other trader I have managed to sample is Noble Espresso, although they are more conveniently located just outside the station and therefore convenient for a short delay to my day as a battery hen in a windowless office. Perfect, perfect coffee served with charm and often accompanied by a sweet and crunchy pasteis de nata. I sit on the benches with the workmen in their high vis jackets savouring this before heading south. The only way to start to my working day.

Noble Espresso at Kerb

Comments

  1. Great!....will definitely check them out on my next visit to the UK!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts