Foodie Penpals, May

May is my favourite month of the year (not only because my birthday falls within it). The weather warms up, the country springs into life, with every hedgerow sprouting fresh green growth and the promise of longer and brighter days. Winter clothes are finally packed away, although occasionally retrieved when we ignore the age old saying 'ne'er cast a clout 'til may is out'. So I was particularly looking forward to my May foodie penpal parcel, sent to me by Helen. Inside the parcel, very prettily packaged in polka dot tissue paper (so lovely, I used it as the backdrop to my photos), were a whole bunch of treats, starting with a hoppy pale ale from craft brewers First Chop Brewing Arm, based in Salford and local to Helen. Alongside the beer was a little bottle of basil infused oil, which will be great drizzled on tomatoes, pizzas or any kind of salads.

A bottle of TEA, a pale ale from craft brewers First Chop Brewing Arm, Salford & small bottle of basil infused oil

I'd asked Helen to include some healthy treats in my parcel and she really went out of her way to do so. She sourced her items from her local ethical cooperative, Unicorn Grocery, which won an Observer Food Monthly award for best independent shop in 2008 (and I only wish there was something similar near here). Luscious looking sun dried tomatoes, a scented handful of cassia sticks (perfect for curries) and Panch Phoran, a Bengali spice mix of whole seeds (black onion, fennel, fenugreek, cumin and black mustard) which makes a great base for fragrant and simple meals, toasted in a little oil.

Cassia sticks, sun dried tomatoes and Panch Phoran spice mix from Unicorn Grocery

Following on with the healthy treat theme were a number of other snacks: 'Nothing But', a crisp type bag of freeze dried mange tout and red pepper, dried cherries and pumpkin seeds; a bar of 'vanoffee' made with raw cacao; a packet of lettuce seeds and some Czech onion flavoured sticks from Helen's recent trip (which are very more-ish with humus).

A range of healthy treats, freeze dried mange tout, pumpkin seeds and dried cherries.

This was lovely parcel, full of things I like and it was especially fab to get this days before my birthday. Thank you Helen, I hope you received an equally thoughtful parcel this month too.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. ...and most of them now scoffed too! I have to say that the Czech onion sticks were delicious.

      Delete
  2. This looks fantastic! I'm taking part in Foodie Penpals for the first time this month x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad we've recruited another member, it's great fun and something nice to look forward too each month. I see that you've set up something similar for beauty products too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts