Foodie Penpals - May

Oops, my post on the May Foodie Penpals is a little later than planned and just manages to squeeze in on the last day of May! This month I was paired up with Marco, who lives and works in London so he suggested that we met rather than waste money on post. I readily agreed as I was quite curious to meet a fellow foodie penpal in person and surely the point of this whole exercise is to meet new people and share ideas. However, meeting up proved easier said than done as both of us had time away and work commitments and Marco also had an operation on his knee but we finally met up and shared a coffee and tea at Caravan, King's Cross. Marco's parcel was lovely, full of homemade treats he had made whilst recuperating from his op, properly typed recipes, chocolate, tea and other treats.


This is what I received from Marco -

  • Homemade breakfast bars (recipe from Nigella Lawson)
  • Black tea from M&S
  • Lemongrass tea
  • Two dark chocolate bars 
  • Reindeer Poop (!) - yes really, although these are in fact almonds with cinnamon, chocolate, spices and coffee
  • Coriander plant kit
  • an inspirational DVD
  • Homemade pumpkin spiced cream cheese

Marco and his wife had very sadly been recently bereaved of their pet cat in a road accident and were reconsidering their life in London. I really felt for them as I know how much these little animals steal your heart and become family and losing them so suddenly is so hard. Marco is German and his wife is American and one of their options is, rather excitingly, Hawaii. If they do move, I hope he stays involved in the foodie penpals via the US scheme, his homemade breakfast bars were delicious!


I was paired up with Jenn, an American married to a Swiss guy and living in Switzerland. She is also embarking on a new venture and is currently setting up a business to sell American pies and other baked goods. My parcel to Jenn contained some unusual baking ingredients which she will hopefully find inspirational, some very English Colman's mustard and same Taste No Five paste to pep up stews and casseroles. I also included a recipe for Coconut Ice (again very English) and a little kit to make your own card fish 'n' chips. I wish Jen every success for the business and look forward to seeing her web site as soon as it's up and running.

Comments

Popular Posts