Green tomatoes and cider vinegar

A few weekends ago I picked the last of the fruit from the tomatoes plants in the garden. They'd had a pretty dismal summer, even though the garden is south facing and they grow up against a warm brick wall in a sheltered position they were starting to show a few signs of blight. The late Indian summer in September had sent the plants into a frenzy of growth but there was no way these green tomatoes would ripen in October.



Researching recipes on the internet, I came across a previously published article by Nigel Slater and used his recipe (see article here) as the basis for a green tomato chutney. As I also have plenty of chillies growing in our ramshackle conservatory (despite it's posh name, it's nothing more than a damp and leaky 'lean-to' but the plants love it) and I prefer a spicy chutney, I increased the chilli content a little.


About 900kg of mixed tomatoes produced four large jars of chutney which are now sitting maturing in the larder for later in the year. A reminder of the last days of summer. Hopefully this will last longer than the fig jam I made earlier as this has almost been eaten!


Comments

Popular Posts